We are starting a short series of blog posts called “How Long Bros can help you…” and this month we are featuring How Long Bros can help you in the bathroom! OK NOT LITERALLY…but we can help you fix and improve the look and functionality.
- Caulking your bathtub or re-grouting the tile floor will go a long way in making your bathroom feel new and fresh. Did you know that not all grout is created equal? There is epoxy based grout and cement based grout. Narrow joints of 1/8 inch or less call for unsanded grout, a smooth blend of cement and powdered pigments mixed with water. Joints wider than 1/8 inch get sanded grout — the same material, but with sand added. The sand helps bulk up the grout and keeps it from shrinking in the joints. Long Bros carries both! Learn about grout in more detail from our friends at This Old House.
- Once you re-grout or repair it, you should consider a sealer… and which kind you choose will depend on where your grout is located and what it’s being exposed to. Grout on the floor may require different sealer than grout on your shower wall if your shower is tile, for example.
- Installing new bathroom fixtures will make the space look brighter and more appealing especially if they are more than 15 years old. Long Bros carries Westinghouse fixtures and can also special order fixtures for you!
- Updating both the mirror and lighting will improve the sensory experience. Consider whether you want to use warm or cool light bulbs – reference our blog post on lighting here.
- You can add a new floor and vanity countertop for less than $1,000 if you use inexpensive vinyl and laminate. (Did you know vinyl comes in options that look like wood?!)
- Adding new toilets is also a smart upgrade because it can improve the look of a home while also making it more water-efficient.
- Replacing your showerhead is as easy as taking off the old one and screwing on the new one – it can completely change your shower experience and also make your home more water-efficient. Here is a step-by-step HOW TO replace your shower head.
- Last, let’s talk about PAINT and accessories! Wow, what a difference paint can make. Take the time to mask off your trim and ceiling line. Choosing a light shade of your favorite color can keep the space personal yet refreshed. Avoid being to matchy-matchy with accessories. Having matching towels, rugs, toilet seat covers and shower curtain is a thing of the past. Instead choose a pattern for your shower curtain or something solid and neutral with a texture (pictured here) while bringing in small bits of color in the art and match it in one (two maximum) other locations. In this kids bathroom, the walls are gray, the hand towel is red but the floor rugs and towels are white. (I know “white for a kids bathroom?” Yes, and we haven’t had any problem keeping them white since the curtain hangs, it isn’t exposed to dirt (the liner takes the brunt of it) and the towels and rugs can be washed and bleached.)
Take a BEFORE photo so that you can share your success with us! Have any questions? Please come in and ask one of our skilled associates. Long Bros is here for all your house projects.